Learn to Mountain Bike!
Kids of Mud is a Manitoba Cycling Association sanctioned Learn to Ride and Learn to Race program for kids 6* to 16 years of age.
Riders will learn the basics of off-road cycling with an opportunity to challenge their fitness in a fun race series with other Kids of Mud club members from programs throughout the city. All riders are registered in one of the following internationally recognized youth cycling categories. All categories refer to the rider's age as of December 31 in the current year.
- Under 17
- Under 15
- Under 13
- Under 11
- Under 9
- Under 7* (5 & 6 year olds)
Why Kids of Mud?
- Off road cycling is an ideal outdoor physical activity that combines the best of individual and team sport values offering both physical and mental challenges in a fun and supportive atmosphere.
- Our coaches are all avid cyclists with a wide range of experience and abilities.
- Our program starts at the end of April with 2 training sessions each week, either Monday & Wednesday or Tuesday & Thursday, until the end of June.
- Kids will be grouped with their peers (by age category and/or ability level) and led by club coaches and volunteers.
- Our club takes part in the Manitoba Cup (MTB) Series and all kids can participate if they wish. Participation in this race series is optional.
- Focus is on fun, fitness and skill development.
- Parents are encouraged to participate! However, please note that parent's intending to ride with the kids must purchase an Adult Program membership, including a Manitoba Cycling Association General Membership. Visit mbcycling.ca for more information.
Everyone, including parents, must wear a helmet at all times while riding. No exceptions.
2019 AECC KOM PROGRAM INFORMATION
- $65 AECC KOM Program fee (plus transaction fee) AND
- UCI/CCA U17 MCA RACE licence: $82 OR U17 MCA NON-RACE licence: $65
If your child plans on participating in any of the sanctioned Manitoba Cycling Associaiton races, please purchase a RACE license.
- 10 week Learn to Ride Learn to Race training program coached by National Coaching Certification Program (NCCP) certified cycling coaches
- Technical club shirt (must be ordered at time of registration),
- 20% off regular priced items in store & 10% off regular priced bikes (some conditions may apply).
- All KOM participants are full fledged members of the Alter Ego Cycling Club and are welcome to participate in any Club activities that are appropriate to their skill level.
We ride in a variety of Winnipeg parks from Whittier to Kings (so mostly southeast Wpg) & Birds Hill Park (we really like Birds Hill Park!)
Registrants will have access to our full schedule via Team Snap.
What to Bring
- Bike - in good working condition. (Download the Bike Checklist)
- Helmet - MANDATORY - must be CSA, CSPC, Snell or ASTM approved.
- Gloves - hand protection
- Glasses - sunglasses or clear lens, something to protect your eyes.
- Water - in bottle or a hydration pack.
Good to Have
- Spare tube
- Small tool kit incl. patch kit
- Food -e.g. bar, gel, raisins...
- Personal 1st aid kit
- Wallet sized laminated ID card with health #'s, allergy/medication info, name/address etc.
- Your leader will have these items with them at all times but it’s a good practice to always bring these things with you when you go out riding.
Love to Ride? Become a KOM Coach!
All of the Alter Ego Club Coaches are involved in the Kids of Mud program because we love to ride and want to teach your kids the skills they need to enjoy riding off-road as much as we do. Coaching is a great way to participate with your kid and show them that riding is a lifelong activity.
The minimum requirement for becoming an Alter Ego Coach is successful completion of a National Coaching Certification Program (NCCP) Community Coach workshop. As well, each coach must have current Standard or Emergency First Aid certification and must clear a Child Abuse Registry check each year and a Criminal Record check every 3 years.
The Alter Ego Club strongly believes in the value of skilled Coaches and is committed to Coach development within our club. Our certified Coaches are VIP members and all certification requirements are at the expense of our club.
If you are interested in joining the Alter Ego Kids of Mud coaching staff please.